2009, 1500 x 1700mm, Acrylic on canvas
Roy Good trained at the University of Canterbury’s Ilam School of Fine Arts, Ōtautahi, from 1963 to 1965, before moving to Tāmaki Makaurau. He was one of a group of Aotearoa artists—including Milan Mrkusich, Ian Scott, Geoff Thornley, and Gordon Walters—who in the 1970s eschewed local subjects in favour of non-objective painting. His works are characterised by bold geometry and a subtle modulation of colour that becomes increasingly apparent as one approaches a given work. Forms extend and retreat, sometimes literally, since Good often plays with relief. He is also known for his use of shaped supports of uncommon complexity.