DRIVER, Don;

Five Part Piece

1972
PVA on canvas
1570 x 2290mm

Don Driver was born in Hastings and so spent his childhood in Napier. In 1943 his parents moved to New Plymouth where he has lived ever since. In 1945 he began working as a dental technician, taking night school classes in drawing, welding and woodwork. His first major one person show was organised by the Adult Education Department of Victoria University in 1963 and toured the North Island. In 1965 Driver and his wife travelled to the USA where they spent five months looking at the works of Stella, Noland, Kelly, Hess, Rauschenberg etc. Since 1969 Driver worked as a technician at the Govett-Brewster Art Gallery.

In 1967 and again in 1969 Driver visited Australia where he saw exhibitions of American work. A major retrospective of his work travelled throughout New Zealand in 1979. Driver is usually regarded as a sculptor with a painterly aspect. His assemblages of the late 1960s owe much to Rauschenberg. His painted wall reliefs of the 1970s made up of bands of single colour either on canvas or on aluminium panels are a major contribution to modernist painting in New Zealand. Since the mid-70s Driver’s work has become more sculptural and has frequently utilised found objects.

The Fletcher Trust Collection is one of the largest curated private collections of Aotearoa art. The Trust makes works available online as well as via exhibitions initiated by public art institutions and by the Trust itself.

The Fletcher Trust
Private Bag 92114
Auckland 1142
New Zealand

curator@fletchertrust.co.nz

All Rights Reserved
2000–2020