Watercolour on paper
370 x 505mm (image); 780 x 895mm (frame)
Inscriptions: C. M. Igglesden / Septr. 1868. [l.r.]
Captain Charles Kingsford Sharp (1806–80) was a ship’s captain, Wellington Harbourmaster, and Customs Officer at Whanganui. He arrived Wellington in 1841 aboard the Mandarin, having served in the British Army in India. His house was on the Terrace, near where Salamanca Road now joins it. Charles Moore Igglesden was his nephew. He was commissioned a Lieutenant in the No. 1 Company of the Wellington Militia on 2 December 1868. A second watercolour by Igglesden, showing the garden in front of Captain Sharp’s house and dated December 1868, is in the National Library of New Zealand Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa (C-119-022).
Fletcher Trust Collection, purchased June 2001